Sean O'Donnells Weblog
I set out tonight to try and create some functional tests and hush the nagging little voice in my head that keeps whispering 'If you don't start writing tests soon you will regret it, you never should have let it get this far' . Three tests would do me for starters - creating a page, editing a page, deleting a page, all of the basic operations. I turned to Selenium first. The framework is without doubt impressive but I hit two major stumbling blocks quickly. It doesn't support frames or right clicks which makes Ogham an untestable app as far as Selenium is concerned. I cannot think of any reason why Selenium cant support both, It is simply not implemented.
This is a big let down. The annoying little voice has been repeatedly promised that I would get to grips with Selenium and make everything better soon. I could imagine an evil little monster with an unbearably smug look on its face. The words I told you so are unspoken but still hanging in the air.
I turned to Google for salvation. First hit was jsUnit, A nice tool , but intended for unit testing not functional testing. Next up was Ghost Train, a very promising tool but still in its early days , no real documentation and I could not see how I could pick it up and run with it. Ghost Train is also Firefox only at the moment and I really need to ability to test on Internet Explorer.
Watir looks like it could do everything I need, but its windows and IE only, which rules it right out. IEUnit has exactly the same problems. So after hours of Searching it would appear that the only real choice I have is start hacking on Selenium or build my own tool. If anyone has any other suggestions, please , please help me. I have to silence the nagging little voice.
Just checked password protection for Ogham into Subversion.
You can now add usernames and password into the __init__.py file and turn authentication on and off in configItems.
I have a bit more work on the rename command for the navigation tree, and some more cleanups for Internet Explorer before I make a new release, but things are going well, so that may be sooner than I thought.
After creating a Subversion Repository for Ogham, I got back to hacking on it tonight only to discover that the Snakelets server was not very happy to find .svn directories all over the place. It promptly fell over when attempting to load them as plugins and webapps. I have upgraded to Snakelets 1.4.1 and fixed the problem. Updating should get you up and running, and apologies to those who checked out and discovered the code would not run. I have submitted some patches so Hopefully the next version of Snakelets will not have the problem. For now , ogham is using an ever so slightly custom version.
Tech Camp Ireland looks like it will be a lot of fun. Theres a pretty diverse range of speakers. If you have Saturday the 15th of October 2005 free and a pet project or technology you can't shut up about why not come along? This many geeks in a room can't help but result in some interesting ideas.
Well my pleasant week off has come to a close. I just spent the evening in my parents house freeloading a meal and taking it easy. My little trip to Cork was pleasant and did the job of breaking my normal routine quite nicely.
Me being me , I have of course spent a fair amount of my time hacking. A new release of Ogham draws ever closer, and this blog is looking a lot more healthy. I have written all of the Vellum plugins I need to spend more time using it and less time hacking on it. I am planning on releasing all of my additions/changes soon. I have to come up with something to justify all that time playing with subversion.