Sean O'Donnells Weblog
My trusty old Thinkpad has finally given up the ghost. Its time had come, and considering the abuse I have dished out to it over the years the remarkable thing is that it lasted this long. One snowy January morning I tripped while walking downhill and wound up sledding 10 feet across icy tarmac on it. The hardy beast survived with only few scratches. However many more insults have been visited upon it, Not the least of which is that my new dog likes to sleep on it if I forget to put it away. I imagine its because its warm. Picking dog fur out of your keyboard is not a good thing. In the last few months it has mysteriously refused to start on occasion, and as of Sunday night it reported a corrupted CMOS. It will not allow me to boot from a floppy to reflash it. Repairing it would cost more than replacing it. So with great regret and fond memories it will have to go to laptop heaven. All progress on Ogham and posting here will slow dramatically while I sort out a replacement.
I just finished upgrading from hoary to breezy. It went reasonably smoothly but there where two gotchas when it came to xorg. First off the keyboard driver has changed from 'keyboard' to 'kbd'.
So the relevant section of xorg.conf has to look like this
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "ie"
Second the fonts directory has moved so you need to edit that section of xorg.conf to look like this.
FontPath "unix/:7100" # local font server
# if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
# paths to defoma fonts
Overall breezy contains a lot of small improvements. Evince the new document viewer is nice. But there is no single improvement I have seen so far that would blow your socks off. A little more polish on an already shining Distro.
I set out tonight to try and create some functional tests and hush the nagging little voice in my head that keeps whispering 'If you don't start writing tests soon you will regret it, you never should have let it get this far' . Three tests would do me for starters - creating a page, editing a page, deleting a page, all of the basic operations. I turned to Selenium first. The framework is without doubt impressive but I hit two major stumbling blocks quickly. It doesn't support frames or right clicks which makes Ogham an untestable app as far as Selenium is concerned. I cannot think of any reason why Selenium cant support both, It is simply not implemented.
This is a big let down. The annoying little voice has been repeatedly promised that I would get to grips with Selenium and make everything better soon. I could imagine an evil little monster with an unbearably smug look on its face. The words I told you so are unspoken but still hanging in the air.
I turned to Google for salvation. First hit was jsUnit, A nice tool , but intended for unit testing not functional testing. Next up was Ghost Train, a very promising tool but still in its early days , no real documentation and I could not see how I could pick it up and run with it. Ghost Train is also Firefox only at the moment and I really need to ability to test on Internet Explorer.
Watir looks like it could do everything I need, but its windows and IE only, which rules it right out. IEUnit has exactly the same problems. So after hours of Searching it would appear that the only real choice I have is start hacking on Selenium or build my own tool. If anyone has any other suggestions, please , please help me. I have to silence the nagging little voice.
Just checked password protection for Ogham into Subversion.
You can now add usernames and password into the __init__.py file and turn authentication on and off in configItems.
I have a bit more work on the rename command for the navigation tree, and some more cleanups for Internet Explorer before I make a new release, but things are going well, so that may be sooner than I thought.
After creating a Subversion Repository for Ogham, I got back to hacking on it tonight only to discover that the Snakelets server was not very happy to find .svn directories all over the place. It promptly fell over when attempting to load them as plugins and webapps. I have upgraded to Snakelets 1.4.1 and fixed the problem. Updating should get you up and running, and apologies to those who checked out and discovered the code would not run. I have submitted some patches so Hopefully the next version of Snakelets will not have the problem. For now , ogham is using an ever so slightly custom version.